//honeypot demagogic

Forum DhammaCitta. Forum Diskusi Buddhis Indonesia

Author Topic: Grammar Quizzes  (Read 52204 times)

Offline 53121f4n71

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 95
  • semoga semua makhluk berbahagia
Re: Grammar Quizzes
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

Double Negative quizzes

1: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'She doesn't know why she feels so tired.'
 a. yes
 b. no

2: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'Daniel doesn't have no interest in football.'
 a. yes
 b. no

3: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'There aren't any ripe bananas in this bunch.'
 a. yes
 b. no

4: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'No-one is going to Ayesha's party.'
 a. yes
 b. no

5: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'The accident wasn't nobody's fault.'
 a. yes
 b. no

6: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'You have no right to speak that way to nobody.'
 a. yes
 b. no

7: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'I have no idea why Abraham didn't pass his driving test.'
 a. yes
 b. no

8: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'Maxine hasn't never said thank you for her birthday present.'
 a. yes
 b. no

9: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'There isn't nowhere Emile hasn't been for his holidays.'
 a. yes
 b. no

10: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
'Neither of my sisters aren't coming for the weekend.'
 a. yes
 b. no

11: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:
'Marc has never been to America.'
 a. Marc hasn't never been to America.
 b. Marc has been to America.
 c. Marc hasn't ever been to America.

12: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:
'I don't have any money to lend to you.'
 a. I have no money to lend to you.
 b. I don't have no money to lend to you
 c. I have money to lend you.

13: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:
'I'd rather listen to Alicia Keys than anyone else.'
 a. There isn't nobody I'd rather listen to than Alicia Keys.
 b. There's somebody I'd rather listen to than Alicia Keys.
 c. There isn't anybody I'd rather listen to than Alicia Keys.

14: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:
'None of the available jobs interests Rashid.'
 a. Rashid isn't interested in none of the available jobs.
 b. Rashid isn't interested in any of the available jobs.
 c. Rashid is interested in any of the available jobs.

15: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:
'Marion hasn't read any of the instructions properly.'
 a. Marion has read none of the instructions properly.
 b. Marion hasn't read none of the instructions properly.
 c. Marion has read all of the instructions properly.

16: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:
'I have never committed no crime.'
 a. I have never committed a crime.
 b. I have not committed no crime.

17: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:
'I have not never been late for work.'
 a. I have always been early to work.
 b. I have never been late for work

18: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:
'Nobody's never given me a bad report.'
 a. Everybody's not given me a bad report.
 b. I've never been given a bad report.

correct me.........  ;D
this too will pass

Offline chizz_roll

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 74
  • Be Mindful
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2008, 09:11:28 PM »

Double Negative quizzes

1: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
 a. yes
b. no

2: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

3: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
 a. yes
b. no

4: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
 a. yes
b. no

5: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

6: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

7: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
 a. yes
 b. no

8: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

9: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

10: Does this sentence contain a double negative that confuses the meaning of the sentence?
a. yes
 b. no

11: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:

12: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:

13: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:

14: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:

15: Select the option that is a correct sentence and means the same as this given sentence:

16: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:

17: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:

18: This is a quote from a job application letter and it's wrong. Choose which option below matches what you think this person meant to say:

Please correct me..  _/\_
ketika kehidupan memberimu seribu alasan untuk menangis, tunjukkan kalo kamu mempunyai sejuta alasan untuk tersenyum.. Tersenyumlah selalu.. :)

Offline mushroom_kick

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 92
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2008, 02:38:01 PM »

Double Negative quizzes

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

a. yes
 b. no

difficult
Segala fenomena bentuk & batin tidaklah kekal ada na.....
Semua hanyalah sementara.....

Offline Anestan

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 106
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
where is the result? heheh ???

Offline Rina Hong

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: -2
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
Anestan
You said: no
Well done, there is only one negative in this sentence. The negative word is doesn't.  
You said: yes
Well done, that's right! Doesn't and no are both negatives, so they have cancelled each other out in this sentence. The correct sentence would be: 'Daniel doesn't have any interest in football.' OR 'Daniel has no interest in football.'  
Well done! There is only one negative in this sentence - aren't.  
Well done! The only negative in this sentence is no-one.  
Well done, that's right. Wasn't and nobody are both negatives, so in this sentence they cancel each other out. The correct sentence would be: 'The accident wasn't anybody's fault.' OR 'The accident was nobody's fault.'  
Well done! No and nobody are both negatives. The correct way to write this sentence would be: 'You have no right to speak that way to anybody.'  
That's right! That was difficult, so well done on getting it right. There ARE two negative words in this sentence - no and didn't - but they don't refer to the same thing. No is talking about the idea and didn't is talking about the driving test. Remember that negative words are only a double negative, which cancel each other out, if they are talking about the same thing.  
Well done! Hasn't and never are both negatives being used to talk about the same thing. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'Maxine hasn't ever said thank you for her birthday present.' OR 'Maxine has never said thank you for her birthday present.'  
Well done, that's right! Isn't and nowhere are both negatives being used to talk about the same thing. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'There isn't anywhere Emile hasn't been for his holidays.' OR 'There is nowhere Emile hasn't been for his holidays.'  
Sorry, that's wrong. Neither and aren't are both negative and they cancel each other out - so this sentence means that one of the sisters IS coming for the weekend. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'Neither of my sisters are coming for the weekend'.
You said: Marc hasn't ever been to America.
Brilliant, that's right. 'Marc has never been to America' contains one positive (has) and one negative (never). In this sentence there is still one positive and one negative, but they are swapped around. Hasn't is the negative and ever is the positive. 
You said: I have no money to lend to you.
Well done, that's right. In 'I don't have any money to lend to you' there is one negative (don't) and one positive (any). In 'I have no money to lend to you' the situation is the same, but have is the positive and no is the negative. 
You said: There isn't anybody I'd rather listen to than Alicia Keys.
Congratulations, that's right. This sentence has the same sense as the original and only contains one negative (isn't). 
You said: Rashid isn't interested in any of the available jobs.
Well done, that's right. What a star you are. This sentence has just one negative (isn't) and has the same sense as the original. 
You said: Marion has read none of the instructions properly.
Well done! This sentence has the same sense as the original and only contains one negative (none).
You said: I have never committed a crime.
Well done! This a sentence that says that the writer has no criminal record. 
You said: I have always been early to work.
Sorry, that's wrong. This is a positive statement, but it doesn't match what the writer was trying to say. Never being late is not the same as always being early. 
You said: I've never been given a bad report.
Congratulations, that's right. Here you have removed the double negative from the original. 

The four Reliances
1st,rely on the spirit and meaning of the teachings, not on the words;
2nd,rely on the teachings, not on the personality of the teacher;
3rd,rely on real wisdom, not superficial interpretation;
And 4th,rely on the essence of your pure Wisdom Mind, not on judgmental perceptions

Offline Anestan

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2008, 03:18:33 PM »
Anestan
Well done, there is only one negative in this sentence. The negative word is doesn't.  
Well done, that's right! Doesn't and no are both negatives, so they have cancelled each other out in this sentence. The correct sentence would be: 'Daniel doesn't have any interest in football.' OR 'Daniel has no interest in football.'  
Well done! There is only one negative in this sentence - aren't.  
Well done! The only negative in this sentence is no-one.  
Well done, that's right. Wasn't and nobody are both negatives, so in this sentence they cancel each other out. The correct sentence would be: 'The accident wasn't anybody's fault.' OR 'The accident was nobody's fault.'  
Well done! No and nobody are both negatives. The correct way to write this sentence would be: 'You have no right to speak that way to anybody.'  
That's right! That was difficult, so well done on getting it right. There ARE two negative words in this sentence - no and didn't - but they don't refer to the same thing. No is talking about the idea and didn't is talking about the driving test. Remember that negative words are only a double negative, which cancel each other out, if they are talking about the same thing.  
Well done! Hasn't and never are both negatives being used to talk about the same thing. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'Maxine hasn't ever said thank you for her birthday present.' OR 'Maxine has never said thank you for her birthday present.'  
Well done, that's right! Isn't and nowhere are both negatives being used to talk about the same thing. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'There isn't anywhere Emile hasn't been for his holidays.' OR 'There is nowhere Emile hasn't been for his holidays.'  
Sorry, that's wrong. Neither and aren't are both negative and they cancel each other out - so this sentence means that one of the sisters IS coming for the weekend. The correct way to write this sentence is: 'Neither of my sisters are coming for the weekend'.
You said: Marc hasn't ever been to America.
Brilliant, that's right. 'Marc has never been to America' contains one positive (has) and one negative (never). In this sentence there is still one positive and one negative, but they are swapped around. Hasn't is the negative and ever is the positive. 
You said: I have no money to lend to you.
Well done, that's right. In 'I don't have any money to lend to you' there is one negative (don't) and one positive (any). In 'I have no money to lend to you' the situation is the same, but have is the positive and no is the negative. 
You said: There isn't anybody I'd rather listen to than Alicia Keys.
Congratulations, that's right. This sentence has the same sense as the original and only contains one negative (isn't). 
You said: Rashid isn't interested in any of the available jobs.
Well done, that's right. What a star you are. This sentence has just one negative (isn't) and has the same sense as the original. 
You said: Marion has read none of the instructions properly.
Well done! This sentence has the same sense as the original and only contains one negative (none).
You said: I have never committed a crime.
Well done! This a sentence that says that the writer has no criminal record. 
You said: I have always been early to work.
Sorry, that's wrong. This is a positive statement, but it doesn't match what the writer was trying to say. Never being late is not the same as always being early. 
You said: I've never been given a bad report.
Congratulations, that's right. Here you have removed the double negative from the original. 

ye...
wow, i don't expect that result...
i forget about number ten...
but i still confuse about number 17.
i think both answer is wrong...
maybe i think the answer should...
i always late for work.. ;D
please explain more

Offline Rina Hong

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
Mush= Incorrect : 7(2,5,6,7,8,10,13)
         Correct : 11
Yanti= Incorrect : 4(5,8,10,17)
         Correct : 14
Chizz= Incorrect : 1(7)
         Correct : 17
The four Reliances
And 4th,rely on the essence of your pure Wisdom Mind, not on judgmental perceptions

Offline mushroom_kick

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #22 on: 16 October 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
Mush= Incorrect : 7(2,5,6,7,8,10,13)
         Correct : 11
Yanti= Incorrect : 4(5,8,10,17)
         Correct : 14
Chizz= Incorrect : 1(7)
         Correct : 17
burn my brain , thx miss Rina

Offline Rina Hong

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2008, 03:33:04 PM »
ye...
wow, i don't expect that result...
i forget about number ten...
but i still confuse about number 17.
i think both answer is wrong...
maybe i think the answer should...
i always late for work.. ;D
please explain more

Haven't here means "Belum" so the sentence means saya belum pernah terlambat kerja  so it is the same meaning with the second choice.
The four Reliances

Offline Rina Hong

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
1: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. The vase of flowers look beautiful.
 b. The vase of flowers looks beautiful.

2: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. My sister and I was going swimming.
 b. My sister and I were going swimming.

3: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. The manager and the assistant manager were made redundant yesterday.
 b. The manager and the assistant manager was made redundant yesterday.

4: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. The crowd was singing and cheering loudly.
 b. The crowd were singing and cheering loudly.

5: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. Everyone in the office have a computer.
 b. Everyone in the office has a computer.

6: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. Our team are playing really well tonight.
 b. Our team is playing really well tonight.

7: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. The advertisement, which has been placed in local newspapers, has attracted a lot of interest.
 b. The advertisement, which has been placed in local newspapers, have attracted a lot of interest.

8: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. Only one of the kittens have survived.
 b. Only one of the kittens has survived.

9: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. No one do the job as well as you do.
 b. No one does the job as well as you do.

10: Which of these sentences is correct?
 a. Take care because the scissors are very sharp.
 b. Take care because the scissors is very sharp.

The four Reliances

Offline mushroom_kick

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #25 on: 16 October 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

b.Our team is playing really well tonight.

a. The advertisement, which has been placed in local newspapers, has attracted a lot of interest.
 b. The advertisement, which has been placed in local newspapers, have attracted a lot of interest.

;D ;D ;D done

Offline 53121f4n71

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 95
  • semoga semua makhluk berbahagia
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2008, 08:40:57 PM »

this too will pass

Offline Anestan

• KalyanaMitta
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2008, 07:26:42 AM »

^-^

Offline oddiezz

• Sahabat
  • Reputasi: 12
  • in vain
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2008, 08:54:36 AM »
1 b, 2 b , 3 a, 4 a, 5 b, 6 b, 7 a, 8b, 9 b, 10 a.
Eschew Obfuscation! Espouse Elucidation!

Offline Kristin_chan

• Sahabat Baik
  • Reputasi: 54
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2008, 09:12:35 AM »

Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible.