//honeypot demagogic

Forum DhammaCitta. Forum Diskusi Buddhis Indonesia

Author Topic: SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA  (Read 2122 times)

Offline ryu

• Global Moderator
  • KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 429
  • hampir mencapai penggelapan sempurna ;D
SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA
« on: 21 November 2007, 07:13:54 AM »
FROM  GOOD QUESTION GOOD ANSWER

SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA

Wisdom is purified by virtue and virtue is purified by wisdom. Where there is one
there is always the other. The virtuous person has wisdom and the wise person has
virtue. A combination of the two is called the highest thing in the world. D.I,84

The mind proceeds all things, the mind dominates them, they are all mind-made. If a
person speaks or acts with a pure mind happiness will follow them like a shadow
that never leaves. Dp.2

One should not blame another or despise anyone anywhere for any reason. Do not
wish pain on another out of either anger or rivalry. Sn.149

Just as the great ocean has but one taste, the taste of salt, so too this Dhamma has
but one taste, the taste of freedom. Ud.56

It is easy to see the faults of others but it is hard to see one’s own. While winnowing
others faults like chaff we hide our own like a hunter concealing himself in a hide.
Those who look to others faults only get irritable. Their negativities grow and are far
from being destroyed. Dp.252-3

Many garlands can be made from a heap of flowers. Likewise, many good deeds
can be done by one born human. Dp.53

When you speak to others you might speak at the right time or the wrong time,
according to the facts or not, gently or harshly, to the point or not, with a mind full of
hate or full of love. You should train yourselves like this. ‘Our minds shall not be
perverted nor shall we speak evil speech but with kindness and compassion we will
live with a mind free from hatred and filled with love. We will live suffusing firstly one
person with love and starting with them suffuse the whole world with a love that is
expansive, pervasive, immeasurable and utterly devoid of hatred or enmity.’ This is
how you should train yourselves. M.I,126

It is by three things that the wise person can be recognized. What three? He sees
his own faults as they are, on seeing them he tries to correct them, when others
acknowledge their faults he forgives them. A.I,103

Cease to do evil, learn to do good, purify the mind. This is the teaching of the
Buddhas. Dp.183

Learn this from the waters. In mountain clefts and chasms loud gush the streamlets.
But great rivers flow silently. Empty things make a noise, the full is always quiet. The
fool is like a half-filled pot, the wise person like a deep still pool. Sn.720-1

Even if low-down criminals were to cut you limb from limb with a double-handled
saw, if you filled your mind with hatred you would not be practicing my teachings.
M.I,126
Janganlah memperhatikan kesalahan dan hal-hal yang telah atau belum dikerjakan oleh diri sendiri. Tetapi, perhatikanlah apa yang telah dikerjakan dan apa yang belum dikerjakan oleh orang lain =))

Offline ryu

• Global Moderator
  • KalyanaMitta
Re: SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2007, 07:16:11 AM »
If one is jealous, selfish or dishonest they are unattractive despite their eloquence
and good features. But the person who is purged of such things and is free from
hatred, it is he or she who is really beautiful. Dp.262-3

It is impossible that a person who is not themselves restrained, disciplined or
satisfied could restrain, discipline or satisfy others. But it is very possible that one
who has restrained, disciplined and satisfied themselves could help others become
like that. M.I,45

Contentment is the greatest wealth. Dp.204

If others criticize me, the Dhamma or the Sangha you should not get angry or
resentful because that would cloud your judgment and you would not know whether
what they said was right and wrong. If others do this explain to them how their
criticism is incorrect, saying, ‘This is not correct. That is not right. This is not our way.
That is not what we do.’ Likewise, if others praise me or the Dhamma or the Sangha
you should not get proud or puffed up because that would cloud your judgment and
you would not know whether what they said was right and wrong. So if others do this
explain to them how their praise is justified, saying, ‘This is correct. That is right. This
is our way. That is found in us.’ D.I,3

If words have five marks they are not ill-spoken but well-spoken, laudable and
praised by the wise. What five? They are spoken at the right time, they are true, they
are spoken with gentleness, they are to the point and they are spoken with love.
A.III,243

Just as a deep lake is clear and still, even so the wise become utterly peaceful when
they hear the teachings. Dp.82

Of little importance is the loss of such things as wealth but it is a terrible thing to
loose wisdom. Of little importance is the gaining of such things as wealth but it is a
wonderful thing to gain wisdom. A.I,15

If the heedless person recites the sacred text but does not apply what they say,
they are like a cowherd counting someone else’s cows, they will not enjoy the
benefits of the holy life. Dp.19

Just as a mother protects her only child even at the risk of her own life, so too, one
should have unbounded love to all beings in the world. Sn.150

One who wants to admonish another should first ponder like this; ‘Am I or am I not
one how practices complete purity in body and speech? Are these qualities present
in me or not?’ If they are not there will no doubt be those who say; ‘Come now, why
don’t you practice complete purity in body and speech first?’ Again, one who wants
to admonish another should first ponder like this; ‘Have I freed myself from ill will
and developed love towards others. It this quality present in me or not?’ If they are
not there will no doubt be those who say; ‘Come now, why don’t you practice love
yourself?’ A.V,79

Whoever practices righteousness in the morning, at noon or at night, they will have a
happy morning, a happy noon and a happy night. A.I,294

If anyone abuses you, hits you, throws stones at you or strikes you with a stick or a
sword, you must put aside all worldly desires and considerations and think, ‘My heart
will not be moved. I shall speak no evil words. I will feel no resentment but maintain
kindness and compassion for all beings.’ You should think like this. M.I,126

Irrigators lead the water, fletchers bend the shaft, carpenters shape the wood, the
wise mold themselves. Dp.80

There are four types of people found in the world. What four? Those concerned with
neither their own welfare or the welfare of others, those concerned with the welfare
of others but not their own, those concerned with their own welfare but not that of
others and those who are concerned with both their own welfare and the welfare of
others…Of there four types of people those who are concerned with there own
welfare and the welfare of others are the chief, the highest, the topmost and the
best.
A.II,94

If you take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha you will be free from
fear and trembling. S.I,220

Conquer hate with love, evil with good, meanness with generosity and lies with truth.
Dp.223

Those whose thoughts, speech and actions are good are their own best friend. Even
if they say, ‘We do not care about ourselves’ they are still their own best friend. And
why? Because they do for themselves what a friend would do for them. S.I,71

Do not think lightly of goodness saying, ‘I can not be like that.’ A drop at a time is
the water pot filled and likewise little by little do the wise fill themselves with good.
Dp.122
Janganlah memperhatikan kesalahan dan hal-hal yang telah atau belum dikerjakan oleh diri sendiri. Tetapi, perhatikanlah apa yang telah dikerjakan dan apa yang belum dikerjakan oleh orang lain =))

Offline ryu

• Global Moderator
  • KalyanaMitta
Re: SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2007, 07:27:17 AM »
The gift of truth excels all other gifts. Dp.354

It is good from time to time to think about your own faults. It is good from time to time
to think about the faults of others. It is good from time to time to think your own
virtues. It is good from time to time to think about the virtues of others. A.V,159

Those who do good rejoice now, they rejoice later, they rejoice both now and later.
They rejoice and are happy when they think of their own good deeds. Dp.16

Give up wrong. It can be done. If it were impossible I would not ask you to do so.
But it is possible and therefor I say, ‘Give up wrong.’ If giving up wrong led to your
loss and sorrow I would not ask you to do so. But it will be for your welfare and
happiness and therefor I say, ‘Give up wrong.’ Nourish the good. It can be done. If it
were impossible I would not ask you to do so. But it is possible and therefor I say,
‘Nourish the good.’ If nourishing the good led to your loss and sorrow I would not
ask you to do so. But it will enhance your welfare and happiness and therefor I say,
‘Nourish the good.’ A.I,58

All tremble at punishment, life is dear to all. Therefore, put yourself in the place of
others and neither kill nor condone killing. Dp.130

Like the Himalayas, the good shine from afar. Like an arrow shot into the night, the
bad are obscure. Dp.304

The Lord said; ‘What do you think about this? What is the purpose of a mirror?’
‘It is for the purpose of reflection,’ replied Rahula.
Then the Lord said; ‘Even so, an action should be done with body, speech or mind
only after careful reflection.’ M.I,415.

Just as the River Ganges flows towards, inclines towards, tends towards the east, so
too, one who cultivates and develops the Noble Eightfold Path flows towards,
inclines towards, tends towards Nirvana. S.V, 40

Those who keep thinking, ‘He abused me!’ ‘He struck me!’ ‘He oppressed me!’ ‘He
robbed me!’ never still their hatred. But those who let go of such thoughts will. For
in this world hatred is never stilled by more hatred. It is love that stills hatred, this is
an eternal truth. Dp.3-5

Abbreviations. A, Anguttara Nikaya; D, Digha Nikaya; Dp, Dhammapada; M, Majjhima Nikaya; S,
Samyutta Nikaya; Sn, Sutta Nipata; Ud, Udana; Vin, Vinaya.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2007, 07:36:27 AM by ryu »

anything