//honeypot demagogic

Forum DhammaCitta. Forum Diskusi Buddhis Indonesia

Author Topic: [ask]4 kasina dan Upasamanussati,Aharapatikulasanna,Maranasati dan Catudhatuvava  (Read 78382 times)

Offline No Pain No Gain

• Sebelumnya: Doggie
  • KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 73
  • ..............????
Sebenarnya menurut bhante, kalau bisa menguasai 1 objek saja dari 40 objek yang ada sampai jhana IV, maka objek lainnya tidak terlalu sulit lagi dikuasai karena basicnya sama, yaitu konsentrasi pada satu objek.

Jadi rajin-rajinlah melatih meditasi dasar anda hahahaha.

Jadi sekarang tinggal tergantung anda misalnya mau melatih abhinna apa?

oh...bener jg seh...thank you ya bro dragonhung
No matter how dirty my past is,my future is still spotless

Offline DragonHung

• Sahabat Baik
  • Reputasi: 57
oh...bener jg seh...thank you ya bro dragonhung

sama2. . .  thanks juga.
Banyak berharap, banyak kecewa
Sedikit berharap, sedikit kecewa
Tidak berharap, tidak kecewa
Hanya memperhatikan saat ini, maka tiada ratapan dan khayalan

Offline Sukma Kemenyan

• Global Moderator
  • KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 109
Seneng gw... ;D
akhirnya ada juga yg ngomongin meditasi
dan bukan hanya anapanasati

Offline DragonHung

• Sahabat Baik
Seneng gw... ;D
akhirnya ada juga yg ngomongin meditasi
dan bukan hanya anapanasati

Ngomongin yang demikian rawan di bantai, mendingan sih ngomongi anapannasati saja, lebih aman.

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
ada yg punya "Colour-Kasiṇa Meditation," by Thitapu Bhikkhu?

Offline ryu

• Global Moderator
  • KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 429
  • hampir mencapai penggelapan sempurna ;D
Ngomongin yang demikian rawan di bantai, mendingan sih ngomongi anapannasati saja, lebih aman.
seakan2 DC ini tempat pembantaian aja =))
Janganlah memperhatikan kesalahan dan hal-hal yang telah atau belum dikerjakan oleh diri sendiri. Tetapi, perhatikanlah apa yang telah dikerjakan dan apa yang belum dikerjakan oleh orang lain =))

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????

bukannya memang begitu ya? hehehe.. =))

Offline DragonHung

• Sahabat Baik

Coba aja bikin klonengan baru, trus bikin satu topik baru yg bukan copas-an, tapi pengalaman spiritual pribadi, ntar lihat gimana responnya.

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
Earth Kasina
« Reply #53 on: 08 September 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

Constructing the Earth Kasina

Approach the construction in one of two recommended ways:

Put the materials together with as little thought and effort as possible; with just sufficient attention to make the device functional, or

Take your time, work slowly and carefully, do not rush the construction. Do every step with pre-meditation. Consider the vibration of every element very carefully: do not use anything stolen (taken without being given), do not use anything valuable, do not use anything that is connected with an upsetting memory (exception being if you use earth from a cemetery or such, where the intent is to deliberately bring about upsetting associations).

I will describe the careful method:

Find a fairly substantial (1" thick) non-descript board about 1' X 1.5'.
Find a piece of leather about 10" X 10" (it does not need to be perfectly square)
Obtain about 1 cup of well sifted earth.

Tack the leather to the board. If you want to put some "power into this" use 100 "tacks", and try and find what they call "staples", but are what I would call small nails, rusted would be better than brand shinny new (wet them and leave them outside for a couple of days). Even better would be the type of crude nail that is used to nail into concrete; but I am not sure if they make such in a small size and a large size could easily split the board -- if a suitably small nail of such a type is found, it would probably pay to take a file and sharpen the points of the nails (alternatively pre-drill holes in the board). Even better than tacks or nails would be 100 small pointed wooden pegs inserted into pre-drilled holes through holes driven through the leather.

Be careful where you get the earth. Earth from a spot connected with good feelings would be good. Earth from your own back yard. Earth from a cemetery. If you live in a city and have no way to find earth, buy a small bag of earth from a garden store (I would recommend opening the bag, removing the earth you need, and letting it sit around for quite some time before using it...perhaps you might take the earth from a potted plant, give the plant the new earth and take the old earth for the kasina). Sift the earth. You want earth with a consistent texture and color.

Place the earth on the leather that has been secured to the board. Spread it around in a circle about 1/4" thick and the diameter the width of your spread-out hand (a "span"). Make the edges of the circle as perfectly round as possible and make the surface as smooth as possible (use a board or spoon or knife to smooth it out).
Using the Earth Kasina

Place the Earth Kasina on the floor in your place to be alone, approximately 3 lengths of your forearm--tip of finger to tip of elbow (a "cubit") in front of where you sit, or on the line of sight down the bridge of your nose when you are seated in the proper upright posture. Once in place the kasina is not to be touched, moved or intentionally altered by you in any way until it is time to remove it and destroy it.

You sit, looking at the kasina when you sit, until you have "mastered" the preliminary phase of the Earth Kasina technique. You will know that this has happened when you are able to see the kasina "in your mind's eye", in all it's detail.

NOTE: Do not get hung up on the "device-ness" of the earth kasina...the earth device was at one time just the perception of earth in a plowed field, the rest is just hokum...but, of course, hokum pocum is one aspect of what learning the earth device is about...the other is that what you are learning here, in Buddhist terms is twofold:
1. "perception of earth" as a means for excluding perception of everything else (i.e., concentration), and
2. "perception of earth" in terms of the Four Truths
This is "Perception of Earth in terms of the Four Noble Truths": (Ref: Middle Length Sayings, #28: The Simile of the Elephant's Footprint (Greater))

What is Pain?
Birth, Aging and Death
Grief and Lamentation
Pain and Misery
and Despair
In a Word: the Five Dimensional Stockpiled Piles of Dukkha are Pain

And what is the Five Dimensional Stockpiled Piles of Dukkha?

That Pile of Material
That Pile of Sense Experience
That Pile of Perception
That Pile of Personalization
That Pile of Consciousness

And what is that Pile of Material?
The Four Great Elements are what is understood as Material: Earth, Water, Firelight, and Wind

And What is the Element of Earth?
There is the Element of Earth that is External, and
There is the Element of Earth that is Internal

And What is the Element of Earth that is Internal?
That which is hard, solid, resistant and which is located within, and with reference to what is understood as an individual: hair of the Head, hair of the body, nails, teeth, skin, flesh, sinews, bones, marrow, kidney, heart, liver, pleura, spleen, lungs, intestines, mesentery, stomach, excrement, and brain.

Perceiving this in terms of the Four Nobel Truths, as it really is, it is seen that "This is not "Me"; This is not "Mine"; I am not a part of This; This is not a Part of Me. And he Dumps the Element of Earth that is Internal.

And how is the Element of Earth that is External to be seen?
The impermanence, instability, of this element can be seen; comparing the great element of earth to this insignificant body, grounded in wanting, it is seen that there is "not anything here for saying, "I" or "Mine".

If some disagreeable, painful situation comes to one, one reflects: "This disagreeable, painful situation is experienced as a consequence of sense experience. Sense experience is based on the contact of sense organ with object of sense. These things are made of this great element of earth and are, as it is, subject to impermanence and instability. Even this consciousness of mine is based on perceptions of materiality and is therefore impermanent and unstable."

And consequently, experiencing a disagreeable, painful situation, he recollects the Teacher, and he remembers that "even if low-down thieves should carve you limb from limb with a two-handled saw, whoever sets his heart at enmity, he for this reason, is not a doer of my teaching" and he remembers "Become like Earth, Beggars! This Earth, when someone comes along saying "I will destroy this Earth, mighty and powerful though it is!" and that person tosses up the earth, and digs into the earth, and kicks the earth, and spits on the earth, and urinates on the earth, and makes obscene gestures at the earth...This Great Earth Element is in no way moved in the slightest by any of this."

And he resolves: "Now willingly let blows from hands and feet affect this body, let blows from clods of earth, from sticks, from weapons, affect it, for this teaching of the Awakened Ones is being done!"

And in recollecting the Teacher in this way, with this stirring Vibration, there is developed in him a detachment based on the skillful, and he moves himself even more, thinking: "It is certainly not to my credit that although I recollect the teacher in this way, I have not attained to that ultimate detachment that is the goal of my efforts. And he redoubles his efforts, and he understands that this "seeing" has illuminated but one Way down one Strand of One Element of One Division of But the First of the Four Noble Truths, and he makes it a purpose to work out the remaining strands.

And in this way he is making good use of this earth device.
And this is how the Mulapariyaya deals with the earth element:

In the case of the second case, Beggars, we have the Beggar who is a seeker, a little developed in mind, short of his intended goal, one who lives preparing to throw off the yoke the throwing off of which there is nothing better, he recognizes earth as earth. Recognizing earth as earth, he knows about earth. Let him think not about earth. Let him think not of earth in whatever ways he thinks of earth. Let him not think in terms of 'My' with regard to earth. Let him take no delight in earth. How come?
Because this way this matter may be fully understood by him, so I say.

TMT: Or, for the lazy meditators among you ...

During one of my stays at the Bhavana Society I made an earth Kasina with a white Chinette paper plate and a half inch of dirt from one of the flower gardens. I would carry it to group meditation mornings and evenings and spend the rest of the time in my kuti practicing (well ... attempting to practice) the Jhanas by means of the earth kasina.

On that note ...

Do you agree that month(s) of intensive meditation in total seclusion is absolutely necessary for progress in the Jhanas? My teacher at Bhavana says it absolutely is but I'm not sure I agree.

On the jhanas: To my mind, the most important thing in terms of jhana is orientation. Nibbana is not the "getting" of something, but the "getting rid of" that which is obstructing it. The whole of the Dhamma, and that includes the Jhanas, is of the same nature. Consequently, progress, whether or not it gets as far as jhana, begins the second you sit down to "not do" the world. Then, I believe it is clear if we actually carefully read the suttas, the first burning is there from the first conscious appreciation of the peace and calm of not being involved in our usual lustful and angry habits...and this whether it is for just an instant or for sustained periods.

Next up from there I have a more controversial view...that the other jhanas are also attainable in these glimpses from ordinary life: the second burning is just the fact of having turned the mind onto the fact that one enjoys the practice of jhana itself, the third burning is when one appreciates the way it "feels", the fourth is an appreciation of the concept of detachment. All of these are then developed in depth with greater practice. So the thing is three dimensional and not linear.

In the same way as looking at a conch shell in two dimensions, it may be perceived to have several discrete sections, but when looking at the actual shell it will be seen that these sections are just one view of a spiral formation that is one continuous sequence; and in the same way as one could trace one's way across one dimension of the shell and cross the different segments, or one could trace one's way in a continuous line following the spirals; or in the same way as one could say that the first segment lead to the second and the second to the third and the third to the fourth, and the fourth lead to the mouth of the shell; or one could say that at any point along the whole of the surface of the shell there was continuous contact with the mouth of the shell from the inside...

In the same way when one is looking at the jhanas it is possible to see them as four separate units, or one unit which evolves into the next; and one could traverse the whole, step-wise definining progress in the units we understand as the jhanas, or one could traverse the whole in one smooth progression; and one could say that one step lead to the next and that to the next and that to detachment and nibbana, or one could see that at no point along the way was Nibbana more than one step away, and that all jhanas and all the components of all the jhanas were at all times present even from the first step.

On the other hand, (eliminating the idea of "impossibility") sustained periods of uninterupted practice are definately an advantage.

PS: Agree, the kasina's should either be made with excessive care or just thrown together with little or no thought. Originally the earth kasina was just looking at a plowed field...did you count the pegs?

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
Candle Flame Kasina Practice
« Reply #54 on: 08 September 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

This is the way I am currently increasing my concentration levels. It is my particular way of doing it and I find it highly effective. You may or may not find it the same.

* Sit comfortably on your cushion/chair. Place a lit candle with flame at a comfortable
distance from your sitting position maybe a metre or so away. It's up to you. You can place the candle on the ground or raised on a platform/chair/bed so your eyes are not looking directly downwards but comfortably resting and naturally looking slightly downwards in a relaxed way. Let the eyes relax and rest on the flame. I like to picture the statues of Buddha with that droopy equanimous gaze look he gets going. It is the relaxed look like in the pic of  Buddha's face in the Equanimity to Stream Entry Part 2 podcast page.

* Stare at the flame gently. You are just staring intently but gently at the flame for the moment. Now, the trick is to start perceiving and contemplating the colour of the flame at the same time. By perceiving and contemplating, I mean focusing on the actual colour of the flame. There is no need to actually think, “Wow, look at how pretty the colour is!” This is not what I mean by perceive and contemplate. I mean focus the mind towards the concept or idea of “colour”. Grasp on, with the mind, to the idea of colour without thinking about it. Just the idea and concept of colour and how the mind perceives colour. That is all.

If it helps, you can mentally note with the word “colour” or the actual colour or colours you see in the flame to maintain momentum. I sometimes mentally note with the words “colour”, “orange”, or "white" etc. every 5 seconds just to maintain an endless flow of concentration and awareness on the flame and the perception of its colour.

The trick is to overload the mind with enough things to do so that there is no room to get lost in thought and to not give fuel to the mind’s tendency to start proliferating stories. You could stare at the candle and just leave it at that. If you have enough strong determination to stay staring at the flame without contemplating a characteristic and giving extra work to the mind then do so. But I find the mind has a lot of space then to start wandering off as opposed to staying 100% with just the object of concentration. So as you stare at the object, give the extra job to the mind to contemplate and perceive a characteristic of the candle flame. We can start with characteristic of colour.

* A couple of minutes doing that. Then switch to focus on the shape that the flame takes. Perceive and contemplate what form or shape it takes. It may change. Percieve how the shape may change. Don’t think about it. ‘See” the shape with your mind. See how the mind perceives the shape of the flame. Concentrate all the mind's focus on  the shape of the flame. You could mentally note "shape" as you perceive the shape of the flame.

* Then after a couple of minutes, switch to contemplating the subtle movements of the flame. If there is a breeze, they wont be so subtle. All the same, contemplate and perceive how the flame moves and shifts about. Focus all the mind’s attention on the flame as well as contemplating the movement of it. It’s not a narration of the flame in the mind.  “Look , it’s moving to the right and now the left”…No! It is perceiving and contemplating without thinking and narrating. It is taking the flame and the perception of movement of it as object. You could mentally note "movement" as your perceive the movement of the flame.

* Then after some minutes switch to becoming aware of the mind’s perception of "seeing" the flame via the eyes. As you stare at it, become aware of how the mind is perceiving the flame via the eyes. Pay attention to how the eyes are perceiving the flame. Pay attention to the very act of perceiving the flame like this. It is literally a perception of the perception of the flame. Thus the mind has nowhere to wander and concentration will increase substantially.

New Addition: I did this practice recently and found another useful extra job for the mind to do: You could become aware of how the mind perceives the idea of "candle flame". Here you are kind of taking one of the aggregates as an object along with the candle flame. Pay attention to the candle flame, and also become aware of how the mind gives the flame a name as it conceptualizes it. Observe this as it happens without manipulation or actual thinking about it. Just look at the candle and then pay attention to how the mind reads it. I found this one to be the easiest and quickest way to get really absorbed. It might work for you. :)

* These extra jobs given to the mind; perceiving and contemplating the colour, shape, movement and the how the eyes perceive the flame; will maintain awareness and concentration directly on the flame more so than just staring at the flame. If one of the extra jobs appeals to you more, then stick with contemplating that characteristic: either colour, shape, movement or the way the mind perceives the act of seeing the flame. This is your kasina so stick to it like glue. Give your mind enough work so that it has nowhere else to move. Just the flame and nothing else.

* Alternatively you could use any object; a round circle of a colour of your choosing ( I used to use a blue breakfast bowl),  a small statue of Buddha, a symbol on a piece of paper, a sound, the breath or the abdomen. The idea is to stare/pay attention at the object and give the mind an extra job via perceiving and contemplating a characteristic or  the perception of it to maintain 100% of the mind’s focus on it. The candle flame is easier on the eyes for me so I stick with it as my kasina object. Choose something that agrees with you and stick with it.

* Do this for as long as you want. I usually do this for 10 to 15 minutes at the beginning of a meditation session and then switched to my vipassana noting practice. I generally find that concentration levels have increased substantially and noting phenomena is a breeze after that. Alternatively, you could do the kasina practice until the body feels very calm and pleasant sensations/vibrations dominate the experience within. When you perceive that the body is buzzing with pleasantness, close your eyes and concentrate all attention on that pleasant vibeyness. Let the mind soak in that pleasantness. Let the mind “ride” the waves of pleasantness. Allow for the mind to be pulled into the pleasantness. Perceive how pleasant it all is and focus, perceive and contemplate purely on that pleasantness as you did with each of the candle flame charactersics. This way, you may find the mind pulled into jhana territory. If you get into this territory, you could just go into hard jhana and embed the mind in the pleasantness thus blissing out (jhana junkies beware!) OR you could start practicing vipassana in the jhana in order to dis-embed, dis-identify and awaken. It’s your choice!

* If you wish to keep getting concentrated but are tired of looking at the kasina object, close your eyes and you may have the image burned into the retina of the kasina object. You could try staring at that image for as long as it's there. It never stayed long for me so I would switch to bringing up the mental image of the kasina object in the mind's eye and lending all the brain's capacity to keeping that image held there. It may disappear and reappear but all you need to do is keep picturing it in your mind's eye. You could focus on one of its characteristics like colour or shape as well. When I maintain the mind's focus on that mental image, the mind would have nowhere to wander and it got very concentrated very quickly. Try it!

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
How to practice Kasina
« Reply #55 on: 08 September 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
Element Kasina
      1. the Earth Kasina
      2. the Water Kasina
      3. the Fire Kasina
      4. the Wind Kasina
The Colour Kasina
      5. the Blue Kasina
      6. the Yellow Kasina
      7. the Red Kasina
      8. the White Kasina
Other Kasina
      9. the Light Kasina
      10. the Space Kasina

How to practice …
   1. Clear the surrounding and note that there aren’t any objects in front of you.
   2. Place the colour Kasina device in front of the clean wall at eye-level when you sit in front of it by making a space for 1 meter 10 centimeters. Make sure that the device is not too close to the wall when gazing at night.
   3. Gaze at the middle of colour Kasina device about 10 -15 seconds and close your eyes about 5 – 10 seconds alternatively to hold the image of Kasina in your mind as long as you can. Repeat its colour in mind as a prayer while you are gazing at the device and figuring the image out.
   4. When the image disappears, open your eyes to gaze at the colour Kasina device again.
   5. Try to imagine the image of Kasina and control it to be the original colour of the Kasina device for example: when gazing at the red Kasina device, the image in your mind would be green. You should try to change it from green to red.
   6. When the image of Kasina is changed from green to red. Stop gazing at the Kasina device or don’t open your eyes to gaze it again. Practice to control the red image to be bigger or smaller or move it around according to your power.
That is successful. It is the way to get your powered-mind to eliminate defilements and craving.

Outstanding Remark
   The principle of gazing at the Kasina device is repeating the name of the particular one in mind. There are 4 suggested colour Kasina devices: red, green, yellow and white.
   If you gaze at the red one, repeat” Red… Red… Red… ” in your mind.

If you gaze at the green one, repeat” Green…Green…Green…” in your mind.

If you gaze at the yellow one, repeat” Yellow…Yellow…Yellow…” in your mind.

If you gaze at the white one, repeat” White…White…White…” in your mind.

Repeat its colour in mind as a prayer while you are gazing at the device and figuring the image out. Even though you imagine the opposite sign in your mind, you are suggested to repeat it until you recall the real image. Then, practice to move, enlarge and make it smaller. Practice gazing at the colour Kasina device everyday – at least 15 minutes in the morning and in the evening or whenever you are convenient to do. You have to practice gazing at it skillfully until you can imagine the real image whenever you practice meditation without the Kasina device.

Offline DragonHung

• Sahabat Baik
Saya jadi teringat sewaktu berlatih objek tanah, cuman dikasih sebutir kecil tanah liat.

"Tanah, sifatnya padat.  Bayangkan wujud tanah ini sambil merenung 'tanah', 'tanah', 'tanah' dalam batin!"

Cuman sesederhana itu petunjuk yang diberikan dibanding yang di atas . . . . . :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Mas Tidar

• KalyanaMitta
  • Reputasi: 82
mind, disini maksudnya pikiran, mental atawa batin?
apa bedanya juga yah, hehehehe...
Saccena me samo natthi, Esa me saccaparamiti

"One who sees the Dhamma sees me. One who sees me sees the Dhamma." Buddha

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
mind, disini maksudnya pikiran, mental atawa batin?
apa bedanya juga yah, hehehehe...

wah ada penjelasannya...coba baca tulisan bhante ariyadhamma..dijelaskan lengkap sekali..

Offline No Pain No Gain

• KalyanaMitta
  • ..............????
Saya jadi teringat sewaktu berlatih objek tanah, cuman dikasih sebutir kecil tanah liat.

"Tanah, sifatnya padat.  Bayangkan wujud tanah ini sambil merenung 'tanah', 'tanah', 'tanah' dalam batin!"

Cuman sesederhana itu petunjuk yang diberikan dibanding yang di atas . . . . . :)) :)) :)) :))

loh bukannya diamternya mesti sebesar kelapa ya ?