//honeypot demagogic

Forum DhammaCitta. Forum Diskusi Buddhis Indonesia

Author Topic: The Story of the Elephant in the Circus  (Read 1620 times)

Offline exam

• Sahabat Baik
  • Reputasi: 9
The Story of the Elephant in the Circus
« on: 03 January 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
I once went to a circus and saw a huge elephant tied to a small pole with a rope, just standing there.

So I wondered why is the elephant so obedient and doesn’t break away from the stick with all of its enormous strength and mass.

So they told me this story: once when the elephant was very young, it was tied to the pole the same way.

Naturally, it didn’t like that and tried to escape, but try as it might, the rope and the pole were too strong for it.

So the elephant eventually gave up.

Later on, when it was older, the elephant still believed it could not escape from the rope, and remained standing in the same place, despite the fact it could then easily escape.

Now, we humans often have various tasks that we tried to do when we were younger and failed, and still believe that we are unable to do.

But as opposed to the elephant, we have enough intelligence and insight to know better than to believe we are still unable to perform these tasks.

So if you have something that you fear to do because you failed once,

now is the time to know better than the elephant, and realise that you may now be capable of doing it.